Sponsored Link

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Open Question: I am interested in working as a mature model-how can I pursue it effectively here in Los Angeles?

A former New Yorker and Floridian, I recently relocated to downtown Los Angeles and am constantly told by men and women of all ages that I look like I'm in my late thirties or around 40 at most, while NOT wearing make-up ('m an AARP member and always have to show my driver license to prove my age!). At 5ft. 8", with shoulder length hair that's barely streaked with gray in the back, I'm still the same size 4 to 6 from my teens, college and twenties part-time modeling "for fun" days. I presently see many attractive mature models in magazines that cater to mature adults, admittedly more for products rather than editorial. Many fashion shows featuring (very gorgeous) senior, and dare I say it-gray-haired models (gasp!), are in upscale, retirement areas like Sarasota where I used to live or I imagine, in the one here in Southern CA (Laguna Woods).

I'm open to (and am experienced in) department store print, hair product print, runway, trade show, and tea room, garment district showroom, cruise ship and department store fashion modeling. I would like to also do catalog and travel brochure work that caters to the mature woman for publications such as such as Appleseed's or the Tog Shop, Silversea, Seabourn, or Cunard Line luxury cruise brochures, or for magazines like More or Senior Life or even the AARP magazine. The mature market is vibrant and fashionable! Baby boomer women have plenty of disposable income. We are very interested in companies, designers, stores, cultural venues, cruise lines, resorts, magazines, etc. that are interested in the upscale, fashionable mature market. We will respond favorably to ads featuring age appropriate models such as for beauty firms anti-aging creams and hair coloring products, or cruse line and resort vacations or designer cruise and evening wear. Our market is definitely not just about insurance, medical alert and denture products.

It would be very helpful to know the following:
-Which agencies or agents do these companies work with to secure their models from?
-How do I best approach them?
-Do any of the agencies/agents hold open calls?
-Do seperate agencies exist for Los Angeles Fashion District modeling (Fashion week and showroom) and trade show modeling?
-Does a book, trade paper, newsletter or service organization exist with information on opportunities for mature models and feeback from mature models consistently working?
-Do any agencies/casting agents accept unsolicited mailings?
-Are e-mailed photos preferred over hard copy mailings?
-Do I need to have my own website, blog and/or social media page(s)?
-Do I need to join the Screen Extras Guild and AFTRA in oder to be eligible for jobs in videos, commercials, training films or other films?
I have an 8 1/2" x 11 color head shot and am considering taking more photos in a variety of "looks". Thank you. for any suggestions you can offer . My e-mail address is vnews52@yahoo.com.

Viva

No comments: